Sunday 24 November 2013

11 Oct 2013 - Interesting & meaningful festival


After lunch, we took the subway to Jegi dong station, exit 2 for Seoul Yangnyeongsi Herb Medicine Culture Festival. The festival was held at Seoul Yangnyeongsi Herb Medicine Market. This was my second time to visit the place but my first time to check out the festival. Actually, I was not sure if the festival was worth to check out but I decided to go ahead. You can see both sides of the street lined with street vendors selling different types of dried herbs and vegetables as you come out from exit 1.




Hmmm...the smell of Chinese herbs was not as strong as the time when I first visited the place ㅠㅠ
I love Chinese herbs smell!  Hahahaa.


I think they were giving out free bibimbap.

The festive ground is in the middle of the market.
Just keep a look out for these white tentages.

Except for ginseng, this was my first time to see herbs in these bottles!
The ones I saw usually contain insects *cruelty*




WW and I tried the red color stuff,  산수유.
No taste at all and we had no idea what is it.


We passed by this vendor and I was attracted to the drinks he was selling.

Yup! These were the ones. I think I know roughly what is 더덕차 but not sure what are they for. It was written 沙蔘茶 as the Chinese name for 더덕차.  Hmm! I am not sure what is 沙蔘茶 as well. I just check the meaning of 더덕차 and from the internet, it seems like 더덕차 is Codonopsis and the Chinese name is 党参. 아...I think most of us know what is 党参. "감기예방에 효능" is something to do for bronchitis, cough(Please correct me if I am wrong) but my impression of 党参 is more for regulating "Qi", fatigue. Well, my knowledge of Chinese medicine is very minimum, so don't take my words for it. 
Anyway, I had always wanted to try 더덕차, so I bought two packets. One for WW and one for me to try.  Jo stayed clear of it cos he finds Chinese herbs yucky ㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎ

WW and I were fine with the taste.
Not bitter at all. Just Chinese herbs taste.
I hate Western cough mixtures but I love Chinese medicines!
Oh oh! I can't identify the taste of 党参 in this drink ㅎㅎㅎ

Ermmm....We were still curious with our drinks...
Jo said maybe its Brand's Essence of Chicken becos of these pictures of chickens at the stall!!! Hahahaa
Any Koreans out there, please enlighten me!

More herbs...

We saw another stall giving out free cups of Chinese herbs drinks.
Again, I had no idea what it was but I took a cup to share with WW.
It tasted bitter but pretty okay for me.

所謂良药苦口 ^^

Any guess what were they queuing for??

Oooooo....아저씨 과 아줌마 also like candy floss ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

We also saw some elderly folks playing games.

아저씨 was very serious ^^


and this 아저씨 was also very serious in what he was doing ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

할아버지 failed a few times but he did not give up!
할아버지, 파이팅!!!

Guess what?
I gave this a try as well cos I think it will not be as difficult as the real thing.
ㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎ

It was not just him who had so many bands.
I noticed the elderly folks here were very enthusiastic with the games and they did not give up easily.

Heheheeee...I also have a band!
Eh...I only play one game though ㅎㅎㅎ
It was fun becos everyone was so enthusiastic!
Everyone refers to elderly folks!
Yeah! I don't see any young people playing the games except me!  Hahahahaa

우와.......靈芝!!


I did thought of giving this a try!
Hahahahahaaaaa...

Of course, we also have free health check ups for elderly in Singapore as well.
From this festival, we felt that the Koreans really take care and respect the elderly folks a lot.
It was a very meaningful and interesting festival to check out.


Somehow this reminds me of Korean drama...where the daughter in law cooks for the family.

I wanted to buy these for gifts but I didn't cos I don't know how to use them ㅠㅠㅠ

I should learn this useful technique....





This cutie caught my attention from far ^^



Bees.....

No comments:

Post a Comment