Wednesday 24 October 2012

9 Oct 2012 - Unplanned trip up to 갓바위

Up the slope to Gatbawi 갓바위.
I wasn't mentally prepared for the hike up the mountain. Although I like walking but I am definitely not a sporty person. I have never went for any hiking trip before. There is no mountain for me to hike in Singapore, so I did not know how it will be like. All I knew was that I need to walk a lot but obviously its more than walking..

These two Korean girls were in the same city tour as me.  I met them on my way back.   We were trying to catch the city bus at 12.07pm.  The girl in black looked at me and I looked at her. We laughed.  I told her,"Oh my poor legs..."  She said, "Are you okay?"  I told her,"No! I am not okay."  Hahahaaa.  I lost sight of them cos one of the girls need rest.  



Forgive me for my ignorance.
I am not good with measurements.  
How far was 2km?  잘 모르겠어요.
Take note Gatbawi was 2km from here.
After hiking up to Gatbawi, I knew how far 2km was...
It was not as tough as compared to the recommended hiking track to Yangpok Shelter at Mount Seorak...

There were a few eating places at the beginning of the hiking trail.

I am so curious with this plant.  It looks like marble balls to me!!!  Are they edible??

Saw the big guy with the black haversack? I thought he couldn't make it but I was wrong. He walked really fast!   It does not look too difficult to walk here, right?   Not really...At this point of time, I could feel my breathing getting heavier cos it was slope all the way up. The entire journey to Gatbawi was 98% slope or "stairs" and 2% flat ground.  It gets steeper and harder as you go higher.

Stacking of stones is so common in Korea.  May all good wishes be fulfilled ^^ 

It doesn't look difficult but becos its upslope all the way, some people tend to slow down at this point of time..This is perhaps only 2% of the journey.

Vegetation along the way.

Again, what plant is this??  They look like worms to me....

And how far was 1.1km?



I heard some chanting of mantra.  It came from a temple but I did not stop to check out the temple.

About 10-15 mins later, I reached here but  I did not stop long to check out the place. 



Trust me...this is really nothing compared to the steps up the mountain..






I continued my way up.  Basically, one can't get lost in the mountain becos the hiking trail is very obvious.  There are also directional signs to guide hikers along the way.









You will probably get bored with the pictures becos they are almost similar. That's right.  It was step after step.  I did not really stop to rest becos I felt I would be reluctant to stand up again if I were to sit down. The only time where I stopped for a "rest" was when I stopped to take pictures but I couldn't afford to spend too much time taking pictures becos time was precious.

Squirrel!  Its common to see these cute little creatures along hiking trails ^^



Offerings for the buddha.

I always thought I'm almost there but noooooo...Frankly speaking, I never thought I could come this far. I planned to turn back after hiking for an hour but I don't know why, I just go on and on.  Although I thought I could not make it but deep inside my heart, I really hope to see Gatbawi in person.  Prayers chanting gets louder at this point of time.

It became harder as I climbed higher.
At certain point of times, I had to use my hands to climb up these rocky pavements..

화이팅!!! Just a few more steps to Gatbawi!!

이것은 무엇입니까?

I am finally here!!!  
My heart was filled with joy and disbelief when I reached here.  
I couldn't believe that I actually made it!  잘 했어! 
 It took me about 1 hour 10 mins to reach here.  *Pat on my shoulder
By the time I reached here, I was wet with perspiration. 
I felt I smell but everyone smelled the same!  Hahahaaaa...

Offerings for the buddha.

The offerings came in a set which consisted of a packet of rice, two candles and a box of incense.  I forgot how much is one set but I think its not more than KRW10000.  I bought a set even though I was not sure how to make offerings but I really wanna make my offerings to buddha.  



Gatbawi Buddha, the Buddha of Medicine


I am very grateful to be able to reach here safe and sound.  
感恩佛祖,感恩菩萨我能来到这里。很感恩, 真的很感恩。 



I was so curious how did the coins stick onto the stone walls.  I took out a coin but I didn't try to stick it on the wall.  I placed it nicely on the edge of the stone wall.  Hahahaaa...cheating...
Few days later, I came to know from watching Arirang Korea Amazing Top 10 that one would have good luck, if they can stick their coin successfully onto the stone wall.



Devotees

I walked around with the offerings in my hands to observe how the Koreans made their offerings.  I saw some people offering one stick of incense while others used up the whole box of incense.  I asked the ladies in that shelter how many incense I should use and whether I should open the packet of rice.  She told me,"하나" which means one stick and I need not open the packet of rice.  Yup, I usually use one stick of incense too.  She asked me where I came from and was surprised to hear that I came from Singapore and travelling alone.  She gave me some candies.  I think its the same as in Singapore, whereby candies, fruits or flowers given at the temple are considered like a blessing from buddha. I ate one candy and saved the rest for my family ^^  이모, 정말감사합니다.

Hmm...just a thought.  I wonder if 이모 stay on the mountain top?  If not, does that mean that she climbs the mountain EVERYDAY???!!  Waaaaa....

May love and light shine upon all corners of the universe.
May love and light shine upon all beings.

Perfect weather for hiking!
Bright sunny day and it was very windy up at the mountain top.

I don't know since when I started to take notice of the sky and the clouds.
As time goes by, I tend to look up the sky every now and then.
All I can say is I really love the clear blue sky and clouds for a special reason.   




아..너무 좋다!!

Simply breathtaking!!

*Picture captured by S3

I have said it many times and I still want to say it again.  I love my S3!!!

Becos its a Korean brand??  Of courseeeee!!
I love Samsung and seriously, I think its a good brand.
Switching from Iphone to S3 was an excellent decision!
One of my friend keep saying I will definitely regret when I saw Iphone 5.
No leh...no feelings at all.  

It was time for me to make my way down.  
Although I spent a mere 10 -15 mins here, it was well worth the trip.

I wish I could have more time to admire the magnificent view.
If opportunity arises, I will come back again  ^^
One thing for sure, I will not want to hike during summer...

I past by this temple once again. Took a quick peep at the surroundings and off I continued with my journey down the slope.

The air is so fresh and the weather is so good.
I would have enjoyed the hike more if I do not have to rush for time.

I thought the journey down the mountain would be easier but NO!!  For me, it was just as challenging as going up becos its down slope all the way and I could hardly stop walking. It was made worse becos I had to walk fast in order to catch the city tour bus on time.  My poor knees...don't be like me becos its not good for the knees.  천천히 해.  If there's an opportunity to hike again, I will take my time to enjoy the hike and the surroundings.



I always wanted to try 산채비빔밥 Samchae Bibimbap found at eating places located at the foot of the mountain becos I feel they would be exceptionally delicious. Well, its just a personal perception.  So sad that I had to give it a miss this time ㅠㅠ





By the time I reached here, my poor legs felt like jelly.  Anyway, it took me about 45 mins to make my way back. I reached the city tour bus stop at about 12.15pm, which means I missed the city bus by 8 mins. Actually, I knew I would miss the bus, so I decided to take a taxi to Donghwasa Temple 동화사.  

So many mushrooms!  I love mushrooms!
I would definitely buy these if I am staying in Korea,


No comments:

Post a Comment